Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam!

Last year Spencer and I taught the 6-7 year-old in primary, and we had a blast!
I loved my class!
This year they assigned me to the sunbeams all by myself.
I figured it would be easy, I was in the primary presidency once and did
a sharing time for that age group once a month. 
How hard could it be?
The first week I wanted to throw kids out the window.
I had my 3 new sunbeams plus the class older.
It was sooo crazy!!!! I had kids crying, running out of the classroom,
you name it- it probably happened.
I was worried I was teaching them how to hate church,
so this last week I decided to attempt redemption.
After asking my mom and other heroic primary teachers,
they all suggested having a box full of small activities.
That's great!...if you've had years to gather and children to pick through 
old toys, but I have neither!
 So every night I worked on some little project that we could do as a class.
I made these little "Sunbeam" sticks that have each child's picture on the other side.
It worked really well. They held up their "sunbeam" when we sang a song and I said their name
and then sang "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam"

 The next inspiration I had was to go fishing.
That was the best idea ever!!! They loved it!!
On the back of the fish was part of the lesson.
(don't mind the bobbypins - I didn't have any paperclips!)
If I thought I could get away with it, I would 
go fishing every week!
One of the sunbeams brings a doll "baby" to class every week.
"Baby" sits in a chair during sharing time and in class,
and she was very adamant that Baby needed a turn fishing!
Personally, I thought it was a very sneaky way to get two turns!
So besides stopping at the library 3 different times, meeting with the
stake president, and missing half of sharing time,
and forgetting parts of some of the activities at home (hence the visits to the library),
the class was a success!! No one ran from the room, cried, no parents had to come in, etc.
Perfect!! Now, if they would do that every week that would be awesome!
If you have any ideas for Sunbeams, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will get easier and I know you'll keep rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. Good Luck there. That was the calling that made me want to quit going to church. The best thing for my class was when they let me do snack time with them and use the Nursery manual. The other manual was WAY too advanced for the kids I had. I would get one just for ideas if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to find that other manual.

    ReplyDelete